We’ve all heard it said that having balance in your life is so important. And that is so true for a lot of reasons. If we have workaholic tendencies, a lot of responsibility in our lives (like being a caretaker of a loved one), or we just don’t know how to relax and we try and fill up every moment with busy work/tasks/chores – then we definitely need to start balancing it with more recreation. Sometimes it may seem impossible just to find the time. And you may even feel like you’ve forgotten how to have fun. What would you even do?
I think it’s important too that we emphasize that this is all about healthy, relaxing fun. Not drinking, recreational drugs, over eating, shopping or doing other things that are just stuffing down the stress rather than really releasing it.
What is Fun?
So, what’s fun for you? Most people at least enjoy getting outside. Maybe even going for a walk outside in nature and enjoying the scenery. What if you took along someone who made you laugh, or someone you just feel comfortable talking to and being yourself with? While this doesn’t sound like the fun of childhood, fun and releasing stress may be totally different for you in adulthood. While I think childhood fun is great (when is the last time you went sledding, roller skated, or even swinging on a swing set at the local park?) – it’s also important to do what helps you in the moment. And sometimes a walk, a talk, or a laugh is what you need.
Give the Universe Time to Talk to You
Sometimes we tend to push too hard in our lives, try to control things, and move too quickly. In our world that glorifies busyness and hustle, we need to remind ourselves to slow down. How could you possibly see the signs you need to receive on your path if you are too busy to receive them? Too lost in your crazy thinking brain? If you give your thoughts space, time and calm – you leave room for ideas to come in. Most people will tell you they get their best ideas during quiet moments like lying in bed in the morning, in the shower, listening to music, reading a book, or walking in the woods. If you can give yourself more quiet moments, the Universe can deliver you more ideas. So, recreation and fun and relaxation in our lives makes space for that. It gives us permission to ‘let down our guard’ for a bit and that creates happiness, calm and room for seeds to be planted in our life.
Watch for the Signs
Signs that you need more fun/recreation in your life:
- When someone asks how you spend your free time, you think, “what free time”?
- If you have a bit of free time, you are always busy filling it with a task
- When you don’t learn how to meditate, do yoga, or anything healthy for you because you “don’t have the time for it”
- You don’t feel like you ever have any free time, and when you do, you’re too exhausted to do anything
- When asked what your hobbies are or what you like to do, you can’t remember
- If you don’t spend time on your work or chores, you guilt yourself about it
- You are incredibly impatient and get upset easily
- You have a constant to-do list and refer to it every free moment you have
- Your brain feels like a nest of buzzing bees – constant noise and chatter
- You can’t remember the last time you laughed really hard
- You are feeling a bit lost in your life and feel like you might be off track
- There is no desire to find happiness anymore, you are just going to deal with your current circumstances and push on
- You find ways to stuff or ignore your feelings instead of dealing with them – which also takes up your free time (i.e. alcohol, eating, TV, shopping, etc.)
- Keeping yourself busy is the way you keep yourself from actually dealing with your emotions and feelings about your life (i.e. avoidance)
- You can’t remember when you abandoned your dreams…. or what they were
Give Yourself Permission
Seriously though, we get so lost in our lives in the day to day doing, doing, doing. We just don’t take the time to stop and feel things. Enjoy it all. Dream. Laugh. Enjoy the moment. Think about who we are, what we want, and let ourselves feel it all. We need to step away and find that fun and relaxation. Even a creative outlet. It’s the first step really. It’s so huge to give yourself permission to do that.
I myself have been guilty of pushing too hard. Guilting myself when I’m not constantly working towards my goals. Trying to control my life. But honestly, sometimes it’s the worst thing you can do. You get lost in it, and suddenly you’ll realize you are off track or things aren’t working as you’d hoped. Well it’s because you pushed right past your intuition and instincts and tried to manage it all yourself. There comes a time when you need to be patient and find the balance. To open yourself up to guidance. And that only comes when you allow yourself the space, the quiet, or just the freedom to receive. And that comes with experiencing true joy, relaxation, and calm in your body. So, you need to find the HEALTHY ways of bringing that into your life.
Re-ignite Your Light
Make time to step away from the stress in your life. Let yourself off the hook a little. Ask for some help if needed for a bit, and walk away for a while. You will burn yourself out if you don’t give yourself the space and the time to re-ignite your light. Again, whatever that means for you, do it. Some may choose to go for a run, while others will do needlepoint. All of it is beneficial. Find your time, your space, and something you enjoy. Your body, mind and even your spirit will thank you. And you may even rediscover your dreams and your passion in life.
A fun book for you – The Bodacious Book of Succulence by Sark